Smart TV’s, smart entertainment systems, smart washers and dryers, smart thermostats, gadgets with voice assistants. It appears like there is a ‘smart’ version of every appliance that can be seamlessly integrated with and controlled through our smartphones these days. For those of us who are not entirely familiar with these modern technologies, what exactly does home automation mean?
Convenience and Security
Security systems and home automation, when combined, produce a fully-integrated smart home. Many households are choosing to embrace this brand new technology. Installing a home automation system instantly turns an ordinary house into a smart home, which can immensely improve your property’s security while making life much more convenient.
In a nutshell, home automation means devices and features of a house that can be controlled and accessed from wherever you are through the use of a mobile device. Apart from segregated programmable devices such as sprinklers and thermostats, these days smart home technology allows for common home appliances to be hooked up to a remotely accessible network. As for the security aspect, home automation includes your home alarm system, and all of the locks, windows, smoke detectors, and CCTV systems.
What are the benefits?
Smart homes come with a multitude of benefits. An increase of ease and convenience with which can let you have full access and control over your home no matter where you are is one of the most exceptional benefits that intelligent home systems offer. With this home upgrade, you can also check that all of your electrical appliances are turned off when you leave. Let’s look at the other advantages that you can expect from smart home automation:
- An added step of safety and security is one of the primary draws of creating a smart home. Merely turning the lights on with a tap of a finger on your mobile device can stop potential culprits. To add to that, you can double-check that your appliances are turned off when you leave the house. This feature will help prevent or detect fires in your home.
- The technology can let you control doors locks, which is of great use in case you accidentally forget to lock your house when you leave. From your smartphone device, you’ll be able to monitor and even receive notifications should someone try to enter your home.
- Apart from being able to monitor your home, security cameras, which is an integral part of a home automation system, can let you store recorded clips of scenes taking place in your home.
- Adjusting the temperatures within your home or any areas of it, at any time of the day can now be done on a mobile device. By scheduling temperature settings for different parts of the day, you can effectively lower your energy costs.
- While reducing your energy costs, a home automation system can also help you increase energy efficiency. Gaining precise control and access over the power consumed and temperature settings can guarantee that your home is energy efficient. Additionally, there are home automation systems that have energy efficient customizations that you can apply to your own home.
- When you have a light control system installed in your home, the value of your property dramatically increases. Aside from being marvelously convenient, home lighting automation provides an extra layer of security. It is also an excellent way to conserve energy. With standard traditional lighting, you will need to turn each light on and off one by one. With smart lighting, you will have one light switch that can control all the other lights in the house using one mobile device.
The Installation Process
One might think that the transformation of an ordinary house into a smart home is a convoluted process. In actuality, it is not as complicated as you might expect. Aside from some systems that require professional installations and demonstrations, creating a fully automated smart home is simply a matter of connecting devices to a network. Additionally, there is not a lot of maintenance required a lot of the times. Troubleshooting when you lose connectivity or replacing batteries are the most common upkeep you’ll need to do. Nevertheless, it’s always a good idea to hire a professional who is knowledgeable about what smart systems can offer the best benefits to homeowners. From setup options to understanding your home’s layout, a home automation specialist can walk you through the installation process.