Families of September 11 is now operating as the For Action Initiative. The
web pages on this site are available for informational purposes only.
Please visit us at www.foractioninitiative.org
October 2, 2007
FOS11 Chat Program Online Community Support Group
Growth and Resilience: Integrating Loss in
Our Journey of Healing
The path to healing from loss is different for each person. Some may be “moving forward” while others may feel the sense of being “left behind.” However, Dr. Donna Gaffney notes in our recent Resource Newsletter that “…grieving may not be categorized or staged. Phases or stages suggest there is a prescribed, optimum way to work through the process. It also suggests a linear model where one can move forwards or backwards… Grief is a journey that begins with the loss. It takes many twists and turns but it does not disappear.” How can we facilitate the process of healing in ourselves and others? How do we integrate loss in our lives in a way to grow and heal? Join us in our next chat for this discussion.
Please join us Wednesday, October 17th to share your thoughts and connect with others. Log-in is from 7:45 – 8:00 PM EDT and the Chat will start at 8:00 PM promptly. This online chat session will provide 9/11 victims' families, survivors, first responders, and others affected by the attacks at the Pentagon, the World Trade Center, and Shanksville the opportunity to discuss issues and topics of importance in a safe, supportive environment. As a reminder, all participants must be FOS11 members (click here to learn about membership). Dr. Donna Gaffney, a licensed mental health professional and noted trauma specialist, will facilitate the chat.
To enroll, click the link and follow the directions below.
For directions using the actual screens you will see when you enroll, click here. When you click on the link above to enroll you will then:
- First use your FOS11 membership username and password to get to the chat registration (if you don’t know your membership information, you may retrieve it or re-register by clicking here.)
- Then, create a specific chat name and password for this chat. Your chat name and password should use only letters - do not use numbers or symbols. You can re-use your chat name and password for subsequent chats.
- A few minutes later you will receive a confirmation email that you are enrolled which also includes the link to use on the day of the chat, to get into the chat.
On the day of the chat:
- Log-in to the chat 15 minutes before the chat is scheduled to begin. Click on the link that was sent in the email (mentioned above). Be sure to use your FOS11 membership username and password and your chat name and password when prompted.
- Your computer may then prompt you to install Java. You need an upgraded version of JAVA to participate in the chat. Allow the chat interface to direct you to the upgrade, then you click "yes" to upgrade, and the JAVA wizard will walk you through the process. It may take a few minutes, but it is not difficult.
- If you experience any problems during this process, call (212) 575-1878 or email email@example.com and describe the issue you are having and give us your contact information, so we can help you through the log-in.
Please forward this email to others who you think might like to participate. To register as a member with Families of September 11, please visit:
Membership is free and open to 9/11 families, survivors, first responders and others interested in supporting our mission.