Families of September 11 is now operating as the For Action Initiative. The
web pages on this site are available for informational purposes only.
Please visit us at www.foractioninitiative.org
April 17, 2008
FOS11 Chat Program Online Community Support Group
Final Chat Sessions
It has been almost 4 years since we first launched the Chat Program and it is with sadness that we announce the closing of the program. Our funding for the program has come to an end and we will hold 3 more chat sessions. We have connected to individuals living in far reaching geographic locations including California, Hawaii, Florida, Massachusetts and other states. Despite of the distance, we have been able to reach out to others who have felt disconnected and isolated and provided a forum for those individuals to share their concerns and provide support.
We have learned valuable lessons from these chats and we will use these final sessions to say goodbye. However, every ending tends to open the door for another opportunity. During these last sessions, we will determine the best way for chat participants to keep in touch and stay connected each other through other ways. We hope that you will join us in these final chats. The next chat will be on Wednesday, April 23rd, 7:45 PM EST and the Chat will start at 8:00 PM promptly.
To enroll in the next chat, click the link and follow the directions below.
You can also enroll in the May and June chat by clicking here.
For directions using the actual screens you will see when you enroll, click here. When you click on the link above to enroll you will then:
- First use your FOS11 membership username and password to get to the chat registration (if you don’t know your membership information, you may retrieve it or re-register by clicking here.)
- Then, create a specific chat name and password for this chat. Your chat name and password should use only letters - do not use numbers or symbols. You can re-use your chat name and password for subsequent chats.
- A few minutes later you will receive a confirmation email that you are enrolled which also includes the link to use on the day of the chat, to get into the chat.
On the day of the chat:
- Log-in to the chat 15 minutes before the chat is scheduled to begin. Click on the link that was sent in the email (mentioned above). Be sure to use your FOS11 membership username and password and your chat name and password when prompted.
- Your computer may then prompt you to install Java. You need an upgraded version of JAVA to participate in the chat. Allow the chat interface to direct you to the upgrade, then you click "yes" to upgrade, and the JAVA wizard will walk you through the process. It may take a few minutes, but it is not difficult.
- If you experience any problems during this process, call (212) 575-1878 or email email@example.com and describe the issue you are having and give us your contact information, so we can help you through the log-in.